Sunday, March 24, 2019

Mo'z Cafe


Do you have some time for... Frühstück?



https://www.moz-cafe.com/


Place: Mo'z Cafe

Location: 5 Masonic Avenue 
(on the corner of Geary Boulevard)

Hours: open every day at 8:00am (now, apparently; however, they have not updated their web-site to reflect this yet)

Meal: Romano Omelete[ sic ][1] ~ spinach, Greek olives and Feta cheese, served with house potatoes, mixed greens or fruit; and, to drink, a large glassa Pineapple Paradise smoothie




(Is there anything more 80's than Nena[2]? Howsabout Nena and little Kimmie Wilde together?!

Now, I do not know what Nena [or little Kimmie Wilde even] thinks about Greek omeletes[ sic ] disguised as Italian omeletes[ sic ], but today happens to be Nena's 59th birthday... man, is she old! [And for the record, little Kimmie Wilde also turns 59 later this year.]

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, Fräulein Gabriele Susanne Kerner!)


Because it is just down the road (in this case Geary Boulevard) a piece (in this case about forty-two blocks or so), I headed back to Mo'z Cafe (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, August 4th, 2018) for breakfast. It looks like Mo'z has not only somehow lost a "t" from their "omelettes", but now no longer uses the accented "é" in "Cafe".

I had arrived there a little after 7:30am (which I figured would be about a half-hour after they opened) only to find a sign on their door with their new opening hours of 8:00am... no problem, I figured that I would just head across the street over to Target to kill some time before 8:00am... except, Target also does not open until 8:00am... no problem, I figured then that I would just head up the street a half-block and kill some time at Trader Joe's until 8:00am... except, Trader Joe's also does not open until 8:00am... by the time I had walked back and forth to these other places, it was almost 8:00am, anyway, and Mo'z Cafe was just opening up.

Unfortunately for me, it was way too cold to sit outside (even with my coat on and in the covered/tarped sidewalk seating area) again this morning.

There was some good news this morning, their black bean chili is vegetarian (I made sure to ask Mo for any future visits), which makes the Amore Omelete[ sic ] a vegetarian-friendly option ~ avocado, black bean chili, salsa, Cheddar cheese, and sour cream. I wonder if Mo would pour some of their excellent ranchero sauce on top of that omelete[ sic ] if I asked nicely (and promised not to make fun of any mispelinks).

Do not worry, for you meatetarian-types they offer a couple of other interesting-sounding dishes on the Breakfast Specials part of their menu:

Corned Beef Hash ~ corned beef, carrots, green onion and hash brown (noted as two words and singular), topped with two poached eggs and Hollandaise sauce (so, this would kinda be like 
Eggs O'Benedict, I suppose)

and 

Chorizo Scramble ~ three eggs scrambled with tomato, green onion and Jack cheese, topped with black bean chili, sour cream and salsa, served with fruit or house potatoes.



(Please ignore the quality of this photo. I assure you that the quality of the taste was much better.)


What was not to like about this one (other than its geographically confusing moniker)? It included some of my favourite ingredients and in good amounts, too. I was very happy to see that the "Greek olives" inside were actually Kalamata olives (I can only assume that "Greek" means "Kalamata" in Roman-speak). Plus, there was a very decent amount of Feta throughout... Mo' Feta, Mo' betta! (So, Ray forgives you for the [mis]name of this dish, Mo.)

And, as always, the side of house potatoes were a really good version of homefries and came in an extremely large portion.

For condimentary supplementation, Mo'z Cafe had Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (two ways: 
Original Red Sauce and Green Jalapeño Sauce) and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce. I used some (about a normal ketchup-sized portion) of my own H*ll's Kitchen® Chipotle Chocolate Hot Sauce 
(Thanks, Mom!) all over the potatoes.


"...Dann singe ich ein Lied für dich
Von neunundfünfzig Luftballons... ?!?"


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Romano Omelete[ sic ] ~ 6.8;
Pineapple Paradise ~ 6.9

___________________

1. They have this spelded kerrektly on the large menu over the counter and on their printed menus in the restaurant, but their online menu has it mispelt. I am no(t) sure if (t)hey dropped (t)he penul(t)imate "t" or (t)he las(t) "t", (t)hough.

2. While I was living in (what was still at the time West) Berlin, I actually learned a lot of useful German phrases by translating some of Nena's songs into English. You would be surprised how often "Let me be your pirate... " comes up in normal conversation in den Kneipen.

No comments:

Post a Comment