Sunday, May 12, 2019

Ella's American Kitchen


"The one with the Fried Egg Sandwich."



https://www.ellassanfrancisco.com/


Place: Ella's American Kitchen

Location: 500 Presidio Avenue 
(on the corner of California Street)

Hours: open for "Brunch" Saturday & Sunday at 7:00am

Meal: (the simply-enough named) Fried Egg Sandwich ~ Cheddar cheese, baby arugula, avocado, potato bun, served with French fries (but they let me substitute those with their country potatoes); and, to drink, a Ginger Orange Juice Punch





While still running through my Breakfastary Starting Rotation, I returned to Ella's American Kitchen (see previous 'blog-entry from Sunday, January 13th, 2019) once again.

I have had Ella's in my Breakfastary Starting Rotation now since at least the year 2000. As far as any other good, fresh, new ideas go for breakfast for me... I think they just dun runned out! There really are only five or six viable options on their current menu for st*pid vegetarian types and I have had all of those now. I do like their new earlier opening hours and that they now have two locations in town; however, with the new ownership and menu changes, there are less items for me from which to choose. I used to like that their old weekend "Brunch" menu would always change seasonally and always offered new choices and taste experiences.

Sadly, it looks as though it might be time for Ella's to be retired (she's too old to be DFA-ed) from my Breakfastary Starting Rotation and to possibly make a September Call-up... probably either Home Plate 
(they offer many good/great options [Can you say "Dulce de Leche Pancakes" and fried Brussels sprouts?!]; however, they are a bit further away than most of the other restaurants currently in my Breakfastary Starting Rotation), 6th & B (they also have many good options and are a lot closer, but are just not quite as good as Home Plate), or maybe even Marla Bakery Restaurant (this place is very local for me ~ within walking distance; their fresh baked goods are top-notch; however, they do not really offer a lotta items from which to choose either; plus, they do not start serving "Brunch" until 10:00am on Saturday and Sunday).

Oh, well... we shall see.




That red-nosed freak only wishes his lame-o Eggamuffin was this good! (And Ray Crock probably thought that "Arugula" [baby or adult] was just another island in the Lesser Antilles.) Sure this was "just a fried egg sandwich", but I liked that it had lotsa avocado (easily half of an avocado berry) on top of it and the potato bun really added to the whole packackage. If I had one minor quibble (a "quibblette", perhaps?), though, it was that the "lotsa avocado" could have been sliced a little thinner and not made the sandwich quite so clunky (so that would be a "plus by minus").

Ella's American Kitchen has for use in the way of hot sauce condimentary supplements both Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce. I used some (sparingly, this one is a bit more picante than a lot of my other hot sauces) of my own Punch Drunk Chocolate Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce (Thanks, Sean!) on the potatoes and some Old St. Augustine Snake Bite Datil Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) inside the sandwich. Additionally, I used several grinds/twists of my portable grains of paradise grinder all over the potatoes and inside the sandwich (I will soon need to look into getting some more grains of paradise seeds as I am almost outta the batch that I found/bought last Summer on Cape Cod).


(not really such a) Strange Coffee Interlude

Long before even thinking about heading out for breakfast, I made myself a large cuppa (via the pour-over single cuppa drip-méthodeBettys Java Kalibaru (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!). I knew that this would be a far superior cuppa to anything that might have been offered at the restaurant, anyway.

https://www.bettys.co.uk/java-kalibaru-single-origin-coffee


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Fried Egg Sandwich ~ 6.6;
Ginger Orange Juice Punch ~ 6.8;
Bettys Java Kalibaru ~ 7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment