Sunday, January 13, 2019

Ella's American Kitchen


"The one with the Veggie (uggh!) Scramble."



https://www.ellassanfrancisco.com/


Place: Ella's American Kitchen

Location: 1608 Polk Street
(on the corner of Sacramento Street)

Hours: open for "Brunch" Saturday & Sunday at 7:00am

Meal: Veggie (uggh!) Scramble ~ tomatoes, leeks, broccolini, white Cheddar, country potatoes, toast; and, to drink, a glassa Ginger Orange Juice Punch




(Why-for today's EweToobular juxtaselection? I heard that Lady Ella also liked broccolini, but hated "the vile weed".)


Through the waning crepuscular greyness, I blindly[1] headed towards my breakfastary destination of Ella's American Kitchen (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, September 1st, 2018). One of the truly nice things about this restaurant is that, even though they call their early morning meal "Brunch", they do open up extra early. This turned out to be perfect for me this morning because I wanted to finish breakfast and get home in plenty of time to catch the New England Patriots AFC Playoff game. (And, like yesterday, I happened to be the first idiot in the door [and the only idiot there the entire time I was eating] this morning.)

This was my first visit to their new location, which has only been open since early-August 2018. The new restaurant has a nice open space. It has seating for at least fifty to sixty people (so, it seats about as many as their original restaurant in Laurel Heights, with just a different set-up).

It looks as though both locations now have the exact same menus. When the newer restaurant had initially opened, they had a few other different items that would be viable for stupid vegetarian-types. However, now it looks like the only item remaining that I might be able to try is Fried Egg Sandwich (Cheddar cheese, baby arugula, avocado, potato bun; it does not state on the menu that this comes with any sides, so I would probably have to order an additional side of their country [homefried] potatoes).




I had this same dish a few visits back and really liked it then. I equally liked it as well this morning. It was made with lots of good broccolini diced-up into bite-sized pieces (1/2- to 3/4-inch lengths or such), which was nice, as I really like broccolini (just not it's ugly step-cousin "the vile weed"); and this turned out to be the third time in three days that I had broccolini in a meal. Their version of homefries is made with two kinds of onions ~ red and standard white ~ and both red and green bell peppers. Once again, I went with the toasty choice of their own fresh-baked honey-oat toast.

Ella's American Kitchen has both Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce for use as condimentary supplements. I used some more of my own Peaks of Otter Peppers Cremation Drops Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) all over the homefries and some Dat'l Do-it® Scorching Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) generously ('cause that's the kinda guy I am) on the scramble-mess. Additionally, they have fresh, homemade (well, American Kitchen-made), chunky strawberry jam/preserves on the tables; and I made sure to put it to good use with my toast.

the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

While walking over to the restaurant, I saw (heard first, of course) a medium-sized pandemonium of more than twenty of the colourful, chattering feather-brains flying overhead on Polk Street.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Veggie (uggh!) Scramble ~ 6.9;
the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.5

___________________

1. Well, my vision was not impaired in any way by the early morning light (or lack thereof). This just happened to be my first visit to their new location. So I am using "blindly" in the sense of "heading into the unknown". 

No comments:

Post a Comment