Sunday, January 22, 2017

6th & B


Breakfast and Haiku.
Black Coffee and poetry.
Strange bedfellows make.

('twould be sheer folly,
to 'blog in full in Haiku.
Bashō, forgive me.)



http://www.6thandb.com/

(It's a new place and their web-site could use a little work still.)


Place: 6th & B
Location: 452 Balboa Street (on the corner of 6th Avenue, hence the name of the restaurant)
Hours: open Wednesday - Friday at 7:00am, Saturday - Sunday at 8:00am (but good luck trying to locate that anywhere on their web-site)
Meal: omelet (or soft scramble two eggs) ~ baby spinach, shiitake, tomatoes, french (this is another one of those places that likes to list everything in the minuscule) country bread + house potatoes, with cheese; and a glassa hawaiian (see? minuscule again) breeze ~ mango + pineapple + apple 




(I figured with yesterday's "Millions of Womens Marching" all over the World, this somewhat-protest song ~ à propos covered by Indigo Girls ~ would be a fitting EweToobular juxtaselection this morning.

♪ "They said some men would be warriors
Some men would be kings
Some men would be owners of land
And other man-made things..." ♫)


When I had breakfast last Monday on Balboa Street, I happened to notice that there was a new restaurant (or one that I had never eaten at) in the same neighborhood. 6th & B, by all means (due to its interior design and menu), could easily be called a "Brunch" joint; however, thankfully, nowhere on their menu does it state such and they open up plenty early enough for my liking. Plus, it looks like a great family-friendly restaurant (I think I was the only person there this morning without little brats of some sort running around under foot and under tables). It turns out that this is a brand new place (only open since late-November 2016). The seating consists of ten tables for two (or five tables for four); plus, nine stools at a bar/counter area.

They offer a pretty decent breakfast menu. There were several other good ideas that I was eyeing: eggs benedict (two poached eggs, baby spinach, chard, baby kale, hollandaise, french country bread + house potatoes; this is also available with a few optionary options added: bacon, apple smoked ham, pork, pico de gallo, beef tomato salsa, or smoked salmon fried capers); lemon ricotta pancakes (butter, seasonal fruit, Vermont [for some reason, they have this uncharacteristically in the majuscule] maple syrup); quinoa bowl (market vegetables + poached egg; this might be my return-trip choice, with a side of their great house potatoes); sweet porridge (oats, brown rice , red rice, slow cooked in milk, brown sugar, sweet potato compote, seasonal fruit; this also sounded very interesting, and if I am in the mood for a sweeter breakfastary dish, I will probably get that... also with a side of their great house potatoes; after all, man does not live on sweet alone). There was also the interesting-sounding, but definitely not vegetarian-friendly-sounding b mix-up (crumble bread [whatever the heck that might be], ruby potato. bacon, pulled pork, sweet onion, cilantro, baby tomato fried [???] + scramble egg; however, I have no idea how this might all look or be prepared).





I ordered my omelette with cheese (as it was an optionable option; there are a few more optionable options, too [for both stupid vegetarians and those that partake of the dead, decaying animal flesh alike]: avocado, tofu, rotisserie chicken, slow cooked pork rib, braised beef, or smoked salmon). I asked what kind of cheese(s) were available, and the manager/?owner?-lady told me that it was just a mixture of cheeses (probably Cheddar and Monterey Jack, or such). I think that it would be nice if there were more optional options of cheeses from which to choose, though. (Feta, anyone?!) There was really nothing outstanding about this omelette; it was just made well and tasted good, which is fine with me. Now, give me a choice of cheeses (Feta, perhaps?) and it might be a bit more interesting.

Their version of home potatoes turned out to be very good. These were prepared with whole small potatoes (and two different types from what I saw) that have been grilled or roasted and smooshed a bit. There was also some fried kale bits and fried julienned carrot strips in with the potatoes; this was an interesting addition and I really liked it. This (side) dish is worth a return trip all on its lone-self.

The fresh-made/blendered-up drink turned out to be a very thick smoothie-like drink; so much so, that I ended up cutting it with a glass of water whenever there was more room in the glass.

For condimentary supplementation, 6th & B offers Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce), Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce, and Frank's® RedHot (Original). I used some of my own Pope's Whiskey River Hot Sauce (Thanks, Amy and Chef Joe!) on the omelette and some Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Medium Fire-Roasted Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on the potatoes. Thankfully, both of these bottles are nearing the empty point (probably just another helping left in each), so that I can free up some space in my refrigerator finally.

It is nice to see that another good place has opened nearby and I am sure I will be returning... one of these days.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
omelet ~ 6.5;
hawaiian breeze ~ 6.9;
house potatoes ~ 7.0

No comments:

Post a Comment