Saturday, January 7, 2017

Ella's


"The one with the vegetarian open faced omelette with roasted tomatoes, basil, caramelized shallots, topped with parmigiano reggiano cheese."


(Here is where I would normally have a photo of the joint in question to start out the 'stupid 'blog-thing; however, it was raining this morning and I really didn't feel like standing outside any longer than I had to. If you really must "see" a crummy photo of the place, just look through one of the many, many, many other crummy photos in the 'blog-entries that I already have on Ella's.)

http://www.ellassanfrancisco.com/



Place: Ella's Neo Classical American Cooking
Location: 500 Presidio Avenue (on the corner of California Street)
Hours: open for breakfast Monday through Friday at 7:00am; open for "Brunch" Saturday and Sunday at 8:30am
Meal: vegetarian open faced omelette with roasted tomatoes, basil, caramelized shallots, topped with parmigiano reggiano cheese ~ served with potatoes and a choice of toast (all house baked: white, wheat, sourdough, rye, honey oat raisin, or buttermilk biscuit); and a glassa Ginger Orange Juice Punch





(Here are just a couple of seasonal songs from Lady Ella. 

"'Seasonal', Brian? What's so 'seasonal' about 'Stormy Weather'?" 

Well, if you listen closely, you can hear Lady Ella sing:
"Since my man and I ain't together,
Just add a pinch of cardamom to everything, 
if it be sweet or savoury, whether..."

Sure, the second song is generally considered a "Christmas song"; however, it never mentions the "C"-word anywhere it in. Besides, just two days ago was the "12th Day of C-word", anyhow.)


New year, new early-season work-out of my Breakfastary Starting Rotation. Today's rotator was back to Ella's Neo Classical American Cooking 
(see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, September 18th, 2016).

There was a sign in their window that stated that Ella's will have new ownership soon. I asked my waitress/server lady-person (who I know has worked there for at least twenty years now) if they would be maintaining the same menu format (and, hopefully, the fresh-baked baked goods items). She did not know, but said that she would be meeting with the new ownership later today and that was one of the questions she will have for them (as well as if they will be keeping the current work-staff). Who knows? Maybe they will now do "Neo Neo Classical American Cooking". (And maybe they will now call the early first meal of the weekends "Breakfast", too... but I won't hold my breath for that simple moniker change.) I have never had a bad meal at Ella's yet, and I hope that doesn't change with my next visit there. If so, there are always many Rookies out there looking for a chance at a shot at the Bigs, anyway.

I didn't really copy down what else might be available on the weekend "Brunch" menu (which changes weekly). For some reason (which I am blaming on the new ownership for no reason), they have not updated the on-line version of this weekend's menu yet. I did remember that there was a potato scramble that had some kinda dead, decaying spiced and grounded-up porky product, so that choice was off the books (off the menu, whatever) for me, anyway.




They call this an "open faced omelette", but it's basically a frittata. The tomatoes in this were roasted cherry (or possibly grape) tomatoes ~ which I thought was a great idea. I liked this a lot (basil and tomatoes are a favourite combination of mine). This was kinda like a Pizza Margherita frittata... with shallots (lots and lots of shallots). 

I went with a buttermilk biscuit as my choice of toast (even though it's really not a toasty kinda choice). I normally get their honey oat raisin, which is really very good, but felt like a buttermilk biscuit this morning (which is kinda funny, as I think I looked more like 
honey oat raisin). This proved to be a good receptacle onto which to spoon some (well, a good amount of some) of their homemade (restaurant-made, whatever) jelly (which might have been either raspberry, blackberry, or strawberry, or a combination of each; I did not bother to ask this morning). 

Ella's only has Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce 
(both Original Red Sauce and Green Jalapeño Sauce) for use as a condimentary supplementation. Once again, I came armed with a few of the newest hot sauces in my arsenal that I had just received for Christmas, and used a little Dat'l Do-It® Zesty Chipotle Hot Sauce[1] (Thanks, Mom!) on top of the omelette/frittata-thing and some Laura Plantation Vidalia® Onion & Peach Hot Sauce[2] (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on the potatoes.

Strange Coffee Interlude

I skipped any Coffee with breakfast ("Brunch", whatever), once again, because I still need to work my way through all of the new Coffees that I had received for Christmas. So I simply made myself a cuppa Bettys Christmas Blend (Thanks, Greg & Cindy! [These two are in no way related to the above "Cindy & Greg" of the hot sauce "Thanks!"]) to enjoy while I was keyboarding up today's 'blog-entry thing.

https://www.bettys.co.uk/christmas-coffee-pack


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
vegetarian open faced omelette with roasted tomatoes, basil, caramelized shallots, topped with parmigiano reggiano cheese ~ 6.9;
Bettys Christmas Blend ~ 7.6 
(I know that I rated this at 7.5 just last weekend, but after a few more tastes, I am increasing my GBS Rating a bit more; this year's blend/roast is a darker roast than they normally have and is extremely good)

___________________

1. This was one of the new bottles of hot sauces that I had received in a 5-Pack "Pepper Patch". I will be trying out the remaining four over the next few weekends, too.

http://www.datildoit.com/

This one was not too espicy even though it contains both red and orange habanero peppers, as well as the eponymous chipotle peppers.

If you are a-wonderin' on the name of this particular hot sauce company, here is some more information on the (mostly) St. Augustine (the one in Floridaland, not the much older and famouser city in Illinois) produced Datil chilli:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mv113

2. This hot sauce was also not unbearably hot; even though for chilli-potency it included: red chili puree, jalapeño peppers, cayenne pepper, and capsicum oil. I love how Vidalia® (onion) is an actual registered Certification Mark of the Georgia Department of Agriculture.

http://lauraplantation.com/product_details.php?p_id=142

For additional reading (if you like reading additionally):

http://www.lauraplantation.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment