Saturday, January 5, 2019

Baker Street Bistro


It was a Dark 'n' Stormy morn... 
(and I probably coulda really used one 
of them to drink this morning, too)



http://www.bakerstreetbistro.com/


Place: Baker Street Bistro

Location: 2953 Baker Street

Hours: open for "le Brunch" Saturday & Sunday at 9:00am

Meal: Pain Perdu A "brunch" favorite! (Okay, so maybe I added those extra "quotation marx" around "le Brunch". Don't get all Groucho about it!) ~ two slices of cinnamon French Toast, fresh fruit, strawberry coulis & crème fraîche; a side of home fries; and a glassa orange juice





(I do not know whether Sir George Ivan [or even Marianne Faithful] is a fan of Pain Perdu or not, but I figured that there would be no better way to start my 2019 'blog-entries than with a few of his songs.)


Pour mon premier petit déjeuner out for 2019, I 
wanted to start the year out on a positively high note (♪... I believe it was a C8), so je suis retourné au 
Baker Street Bistro (see last 'blog-entry from Dimanche 2 septembre 2018). I suppose 2019 is gonna be all downhill from here now...

I really wanted to eat my first breakfast for 2019 outside; however, mean ol' Mr. Winter Weather was not cooperating this morning. It was cold and raining (off-and-on), so I wisely decided to sit indoors for a change.




Ce pain perdu est tout simplement extraordinaire![1]

(If you were expecting a bit more loquaciousness expounding on this great breakfastary repast, you can always read through the hundred or so other 'blog-entries that I have already posted on this specific meal.)

I ordered the side of potatoes mainly for a sweet-and-savoury juxtaselection to the French toast. Once again, their version of homefries did not fail to please my taste-buds. Even if their Pain Perdu were not already "simplement extraordinaire!", these are worth ordering all on their ownsome. (Why do people sometimes use the adjective "creamy" to describe potatoes?! I mean, I am one that loves potatoes in all of its sundry forms and tasty manners [see 'blog-entry from Wednesday, February 8th, 2012], but even I would not want to eat any Ice Potatoes or add potato-milk to my morning cuppa.)

Les fruits du jour: myrtilles (blueberries); pastèque (watermelon); cantaloup (cantaloupe); mûres (blackberries); une fraise (one strawberry [made into the shape of some kinda flower-thing]); ananas (pineapple); et pomme (and apple).[2]

Baker Street Bistro only has bottles of Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) on the tables for use as a condimentary supplementation. However, I finally officially got to test out one of my recent Christmas gifts, Peaks of Otter Peppers ~ Cremation Drops Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!), and used several drops/splashes all over my "creamy" potatoes. This hot sauce was not overwhelmingly épicé ~ about the same as your standard Tabasco®-stuff ~ but it had a lot more saveur (Ingredients: Cayenne chiles, garlic, onion, vinegar, black pepper, and salt).

https://www.peaksofotterpeppers.com/


(not so really) Strange Coffee Interlude

I purposefully (purposely? [porpoise, Lee?!] There really is only a shade of difference between the two, anyway, right?) had skipped any Coffee with my morning meal (and Chantal had even mentioned this noticeable omission when I was ordering my "jus d'orange") because I had pre-planned on rounding-out today's excellent start to 2019 with a cuppa Bettys Jamaica Blue Mountain (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) to drink while keyboarding up this here 'blog-entry-thing.


the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

After breakfast, on the way back to my car, I first heard overhead then looked up to see a small pandemonium of four Wild Parrots of San Francisco noisily chasing off/harassing the much larger Mr. Drinky Crow.


The euphonious offerings of Sir George Ivan, Pain Perdu Extraordinaire, enjoying some of the best d*rn Coffee on the Planet (that would be "the Planet Earth"; I have never had Coffee on any of the other Planets; however, I have heard it said that Martians are mostly Mormons [or it may have been the other way 'round]), and being entertained by the caterwauling hi-jinks of the colourful local (but non-native) psittacines... Don't you wish every year could start like this?!


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Pain Perdu A "brunch" favorite! ~ 8.2;
Bettys Jamaica Blue Mountain ~ 8.5;
the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.5;
the songs of Sir George Ivan ~ 8.6

___________________

1. If something in French is even "better than perfect", should it be expressed with verbs in the "plus-parfait" form only?

2. Quick (stupid, useless) botanical pop-quiz, kids: 

Okay, how many of those fruits are actual berries again?

The correct answer is two: blueberries and watermelon

If you had mistakenly guessed "three" ~ thinking "that is soooo easy, Brian: blueberries, blackberries, and strawberry... " ~ you would have been berry, berry wrong, of course. (Even the spiny ol' pineapple is more of a berry ~ the fruit of the pineapple tree are botanically called "coalesced berries" ~ than these two berry-impostors, but that would just confuse the issue even that much more.)

I know that all sounds rather nuts, but just not peanuts or walnuts...

No comments:

Post a Comment