Sunday, January 20, 2019

LaLe


A morning haiku:
Oh, breakfastary repast!
ありがとう, Doc.



http://www.lalesf.com/


Place: LaLe[1]

Location: 731 Irving Street 
(between 8th and 9th Avenues)

Hours: breakfast and/or "Brunch" are served daily at 8:00am

Meal: Cairo (Scramble) ~ lamb (which I made sure to ستة وثمانون), peppers, tomatoes, onions, Feta cheese, with a side ramekin of Tzatziki (well, more like Cacik as this is a Turkish joint), served with home style potatoes and housemade (well, restaurant-made) English muffin; and a glassa Mint Lemonade to drink


Roses can be red.
Tulips can also be red.
Haikus do not rhyme.


Finishing off the early-2019 workout of my Breakfastary Starting Rotation, I returned to LaLe 
(see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, September 15th, 2018).

Even after several visits to this restaurant, there are still some good remaining ideas to check out:

Ciudad de México (Scramble) ~ chorizo (which would be ochenta-y-seis-ed), green onions, mushrooms, guacamole, sour cream, cheese;

Toronto (Benediction) ~ ham (No thanks, ya hoser!), grilled tomato, spinach;

or

Fennel Cabbage Salad ~ green and purple cabbage, fresh fennel, apples, arugula (where I would probably have them add a poached egg or two on top of the pile of rabbit-food to make it a bit more breakfastarily-sound).

Plus, there is always the possibility of reordering their most-excellent Dutch Baby Pancake

I had also given a brief thought to reordering Boston (Benediction) ~ bacon (nah, it ain't wicked pissah), guacamole, arugula, tomatoes ~ as a superstitious aid to help the New England Patriots win the AFC Championship Game in Kansas City this afternoon. But I had ordered that same dish exactly a year ago and figured (hopefully) that the Patriots do not need my fake mojo-ocity (besides, I am wearing a pair of Patriots socks and my old-school Patriots [the one with the Minuteman-guy in a three-point stance] baseball cap).




I was very happy to see that this was made with πολύ Φέτα, as this was the main reason I ordered it today. Otherwise, it woulda just been a peppers, tomatoes, and onions scramble.

One thing that I learned very early on when living in Greece, Τζατζίκι (or Cacik even) and potatoes are a great pair! Because of which, I did not dump the ramekin on top of the scramble mess (like they were expecting me to do), I dumped it all over the homefries instead (Ha! Take that, LaLe!). This was not a mistake in any way. 

I did not really bother to ask what LaLe might still have to offer in the way of condimentary supplements (in the past they just had Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce). I used some of my own H*ll's Kitchen® 
Sriracha Chili Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on the scramble. I did make sure to use some of their own very good homemade (restaurant-made, whatever) marmalade and strawberry jam/preserves ~ one teaspoon of each ~ on the two different halves of the English muffin. They also now have jars of both of these for sale. This turned out to be very à propos as I was planning on buying some jam/jelly/preserves after breakfast while grocery shopping on my way home, anyway. I made sure to take advantage of this and bought one of their marmalade jars for home-use, Lady. 


Awaken my morn,
Nubian liquid goddess.
Java... Joe... Coffee!

(not really such a) Strange Coffee Interlude

After breakfast, I would normally grab a cuppa around the corner at Snowbird Coffee to enjoy whilst galumphing around San Francisco Botanical Garden. However, it was (still) raining (light as it may have been) and I did not really relish (nor ketchup) being wet and uncomfortable all morning. Plus, more importantly, I have wayyyy too much of my own Coffee still to use up at home. Sooo... when I got home and was keyboarding-up today's 'blog-entry thing, I made myself a cuppa (single pour-over style) Bettys Kenyan Karatina (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!).

https://www.bettys.co.uk/kenyan-karatina-single-origin-coffee


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Cairo (Scramble) ~ 6.8;
homemade (restaurant-made) marmalade and strawberry jam ~ 7.2;
Bettys Kenyan Karatina ~ 7.4

___________________

1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist/semi-cultural and historical pointer (refresher):

Tulips are called "lâle" in Turkish (from Persian: "lale" "لاله"). 

When written in Arabic letters, "lale" has the same letters as "Allah", which is why the flower became an Islamic holy symbol*. It was also associated with the House of Osman, resulting in tulips being widely used in decorative motifs on tiles, mosques, fabrics, crockery, etc. in the Ottoman Empire.

*(Much the same way the letters in "Jesus Christ" are an anagram for the Greek words "gefilte fish" and the reason you see so many "Jesus-fish" on people's bumpers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment