Sunday, January 21, 2018

LaLe


Haiku Day again?
Counting syllables is hard.
When does Baseball start?!

('blogging in Haiku
would be too time-consuming.
This will have to do.)



http://www.lalesf.com/


Place: LaLe

Location:  731 Irving Street 
(between 8th and 9th Avenues)

Hours: breakfast and/or "Brunch" are served daily at 8:00am

Meal: Boston (Benedict) ~ bacon (as this really is not a specific Boston-based ingredient, I skipped this today), tomato, arugula, guacamole, homemade (well, restaurant-made) English muffin topped with poached eggs and Hollandaise, served with home (well, again, restaurant) style potatoes; and, afterward, a 12 oz cuppa Snowbird Coffee Bahn Bann[1] (this is normally their batch-brew offered) which I enjoyed with an Apple Berliner (which is just a filled doughnut to you) from a German bakery booth at the Sunday morning Inner Sunset Farmers' Market

http://snowbirdcoffee.com/




(You might be asking yourself just what the h*ck is today's EweToobular juxtaselection. Simples! It is a little-known Cliff Clavinistic fact that this Derek Domino guy wrote all of his songs in 5-7-5 meter.)[2]


I am still continuing with a pre-Spring Training work-out of my Breakfastary Starting Rotation for 2018. So I continued on to LaLe (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, September 10th, 2017) this morning for breakfast.

One of the main reasons that I added LaLe to my Breakfastary Starting Rotation last year is that they offer a really diverse selection for breakfast ("Brunch", whatever). I have had several meals there now over the past few years and all have been very good. There are still many more dishes that I am planning on trying in the future. Ferinstance:

(off their Today's Specials blackboard)

Dutch Baby Pancake ~ w/ warm apples & housemade whipcream[ sic ], add bacon (no thanks) or strawberries too;

or

French Toast Sandwich  ~ Ricotta stuffed French toast, scrambled eggs, bacon, avocado, chipotle aioli, & maple syrup for dipping, side salad... to keep us healthy (I have no idea how all of that is put together, but I am willing to give it a go, Joe);

and (off their printed menu)

Napa (Egg Scramble) ~ goat cheese, mushrooms, bacon (which I would have omitted), bell peppers, served with home style potatoes and homemade English muffin;

Toronto (Benedict) ~ ham (which I would also have 86-ed, ya hoser, eh?!), grilled tomato, spinach, homemade English muffin topped with poached eggs and Hollandaise, served with home style potatoes;

or

Seattle (Frittata) ~ asparagus, peppers, chicken-apple sausage (which I would also order sans), Cheddar, served with salad and fruit (this was going to be my back-up choice this morning).





I know, I know, arugula and poached eggs again?! I thought about that only after I had placed my order, but I have not had an Eggs Benedict dish in a few weeks (well, last Saturday, but still...); besides, I wanted to make sure to get some potatoes as a side dish. I am not so sure what exactly the connection between Boston and tomato, arugula, and guacamole might be, though. I really like that they use their own English muffins as the base for all their Benedicts; that is refreshing and unusual. While those may not have your standard "crooks and nannies" that Mr. Thomas' faux crumpets do, they are much fresher and simply better.

I only noticed bottles of Tapatío® Salsa Picante 
Hot Sauce on the tables for use as condimentary supplements. I had one last Christmas gift that I wanted to check out, anyway, and used some of my own tin of Charlie's Chili Stuff by Thyme Farm Vinegars (Thanks, Sharon! [at least I think this was gifted to me by my sister]). This is a dry powder combination consisting of chili powder, paprika, Cajun seasoning, salt, cumin, cayenne pepper, and red & black pepper. I sprinkled it generously all over the homefries. I probably didn't really need to do so, as the potatoes seemed to have been seasoned well enough, anyway. It has a nice flavour, not too spicy, and I am looking forward to bringing it with me again in the future as a change from always schlepping bottles of hot sauces.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Boston (Benedict) ~ 6.6;
Snowbird Coffee Bahn Bann ~ 7.0;
Apfel Berliner ~ 7.1

___________________

1. This is made with a blend of light- and dark-roasted beans.

Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

Apparently, "Bahn Bann" is a play on the Korean for "half-and-half"/"반반의". 

2. Because I felt that it would have been very cool, I tried to find a cover of this song by little Georgie Harrison, but to no avail. Some guy named Eric Clapton does an okay slower, acoustic version of it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment