Monday, January 1, 2018

the Country Inn & Suites


St. Augustine, Florida
(Wednesday, 12/27/2017)



https://www.countryinns.com/saint-augustine-hotel-fl-32084/flstagdt/hotel/dining/detail


Place: the Country Inn & Suites

Location: 231 San Marco Avenue, St. Augustine, FL

Hours: open for breakfast Monday - Friday at 6:00am, Saturday - Sunday at 7:00am (and Coffee is served/available 24 hours a day!)

Meal: two egg patty scrambles and breakfast potatoes with assorted toppings; a bowl of mixed fruits with yoghurt; and to drink a glassa cranberry-apple juice (they had both cranberry juice and apple juice in separate dispensers, so I mixed them together as 'arf-'n'-'arf)


During my Christmas Vacation trip to Orlando, Florida last week, we (that "we" would be: my hosts ~ Greg & Cindy, Greg's brother ~ Rick, and me ~ Brian) made an overnight trip up to St. Augustine on Boxing Day. While there, we stayed at the Country Inn & Suites, which is just a few-ish blocks from downtown (close enough to walk there and back... well, that is, if you didn't just have knee surgery and weren't using a cane to get around). Breakfasts come free with the rooms, which is nice.




The breakfast fare offered was pretty simple. They had these prepared egg-scramble patties, sausage patties, and red potato homefries all ready to go in a covered heated server thing. There were bowls of shredded Cheddar cheese, diced jalapeños, and onions that could be added to the eggs (or, in my case, the eggs and potatoes) to make a sort of quick omelette dish. There were several cold cereals (even I can "cook" those at home myself, so I don't think I would need those while on vacation), hot oatmeal, bagels and cream cheese, and assorted breads, muffins, and pastries. They also had an electric Belgian waffle maker if you were so inclined to prepare your own waffles[1]. Rick was so inclined and made his own waffle. The waffles seemed to be a very popular item with many other people staying at the hotel, too, and the waffle-iron was in constant use.





I suppose I could have toasted a bagel or some bread and made the egg-scramble patties into a sorta Eggamuffin sandwich; however, I didn't see the bagels or bread until after I had already started eating. The fruit salad that was offered included (at least): pineapple, oranges, (possibly?) cantaloupe, and papaya, which you don't get everywhere, so I enjoyed that addition. I also mistook the prepackaged containers of maple syrup for honey and poured that all over my yoghurt and fruit; it was not what I wanted, but it really wasn't that bad like that.

St. Augustine is home to some fine Datil pepper[2] hot sauces, but, disappointingly the Country Inn & Suites only had plastic squares of prepackaged salsa to use. So I used one or two of those on my potatoes.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
egg patty scramble and breakfast potatoes with assorted toppings ~ 6.0;
bowl of mixed fruits with yoghurt ~ 6.1 (it really wasn't much, but I am giving it an extra 0.1 Glen Bacon Scale points for including papaya)
(whereas, Cindy's homemade gingerbread waffles ~ 7.2)

___________________

1. On Christmas morning, Cindy made some excellent homemade gingerbread Belgian waffles of her own. I had two and a half of the ones Cindy made, so I really didn't feel I needed any more waffles two days later, anyway.

2. https://www.visitstaugustine.com/article/what-heck-datil-pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment